Using PIxelmator for iOS to alter colors of digital journaling cards

12/06/2016

I have been working on my December Daily album and I have come across a few things I wanted to share, aside from my album, of course.  I’ll be doing a weekly share of my pages here on the blog, but you can always check my Instagram if you want a quick peek without the added fluff, :)

I love Photoshop, but I don’t always want to be sitting down at my desk when I am creating journaling cards, or planning out my pages.  I like to chill on the couch where it’s comfortable and use my phone.  I use many different apps, but one thing I could not find within any of the apps I currently use, was a way to select a color, and select an area of an image and change it to that color . If I am changing a solid color object, there are numerous apps that allow that, but I have been searching for one that allows the selection of one color from an image with more than one color, such as a patterned journaling card,or a journaling card with writing on it.  I have finally found something that works.  It’s called PIXELMATOR, and I have an iphone 6S plus, so the steps I‘m about to show you are for iOS.  

I'm going to show you how to pick a color from an existing image, save it to the color palette, select an area on a new image, and fill that area with a new color.

Open the app and click the "+" in the upper left corner and choose where you would like to load your first image from.  I'm choosing "photos' and this will open up the list of albums in the Photo app.  I'm loading the image that contains the color I want to "pick" from".  At the top you will see a menu with four icons.  A paintbrush, a plus sign, a cogwheel (settings),  and the share icon.  Choose the Paintbrush and then from the menu that pops up, choose "select".  You will see the word "medium", followed by a color chip.  Medium is the current setting for the size of the "brush", but ignore that, it isn't necessary to adjust brush settings. Tap on the color chip and this will open up the color palette.   Scroll through the bottom until you reach the grayed out boxes with the "+" on the first available gray box.  The eyedropper is in the upper left corner, tap on that and it will open up a cross hair style pointer on your image.  Scroll over your desired color and tap done.  You will now notice that the color chip has changed.  Tap on the color chip again to open up the color palette and tap the plus at the bottom to add your selected color to the palette. 



The next step is to click on the back arrow in the upper left corner of the screen and that will allow you to delete this image from the app's gallery.  Choose "edit " from the upper right corner and the images start shaking. Tap on the image and choose the trash can to delete it, if you click the stack with the '+" it will create a copy.

Add the image you wish to change the color of to Pixelmator as described above.  Instead of choosing "paint and erase", choose "select" from the menu after tapping the paintbrush.  You will see the name of the type of current selection chosen at the top of the screen, if it does not say "color selection", you will need to tap on it, and then select "color selection" from the menu that appears.  Now take your finger/stylus and draw over the color area you would like to select.  You should notice a percentage appear as you move around the screen, you don't want to go to 100%, or it will select everything.  Depending on the number of colors you have, this may take a few tries, especially the first time you try it.  You need to remember to start on the color you want to select.  You may not get all the color you want and that is okay, you can add to the selection by tapping on the words color selection and at the bottom of the screen tap "add".  Go back to your image and run your finger over the are of the color you missed.

To change the color, click done, while leaving the area of color selected.  Tap the paintbrush again, and choose "paint and erase".  Your color chip should be the one previously selected from the last image, if it isn't you can tap on the color chip and change it. Take your finger and start "brushing" in the color making sure to fill in all the spaces.  If you want to adjust the size of the brush, tap the word that appears before the color chip. The new screen allows you adjust the size slider to your preference, and you can also alter the opacity.  I am leaving my brush size as it is.  Once you have filled in all the areas with the brush, you can deselect, and then click the arrow at the top left to go back to the gallery screen.  



NOTE:  If you do not save your file from the share button on the gallery screen, and use the share button within the edit window, you will REPLACE the original file when you save.  So always save from with the gallery, so you don't lose your original image, unless you have it preserved somewhere else. 

PROS:  
  • You can change the colors of pre-existing digital images.


CONS:
  • Price point may be too high for some.
  • Lacks a paint bucket tool, which would make recoloring large areas much easier.
  • Requires more steps than using Photoshop on the PC/MAC

         
**Images used in this tutorial are from ALI EDWARDS digital December Daily 2016 kit.  You will see how I used the altered journaling card in an upcoming blog post.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook