Craft storage redo - Part one Plastic Storage Bins

5/15/2015

I have had these ugly plastic storage bins for a while.  I know there are many ways to make them look nice on Pinterest and I don't even know if what I decided to do is already out there. I didn't have the time to look through all the pins I saw, but that is where the idea to make them pretty started.

I went with fabric and poster board.  It was pretty simple and didn't cost very much.  I think I bought five pieces of poster board at Hobby Lobby for 39 cents a piece and the fabric I went with was on sale, so it was not an expensive project.

I measured the width and the height of the front of each bin.  In order for the drawers to close easily, I subtracted 1/4 inch from the height.  I cut my pieces of poster board very carefully using my paper trimmer.  I just popped the arm off and moved my poster board carefully, along with the blade in the same spot.  It worked well, but any straight edge and an exacto knife will also help.

Once I had my poster board pieces cut, I used them as a base pattern to cut my fabric.  I placed the poster board down over the fabric and I used the peaks of the chevrons to line up the edges of my poster board.  The first few times I didn't and my fabric was not straight when I glued it on to the poster board.  I was okay with that.  I cut the fabric allowing for at least 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch extra around the poster board.

I used a hot glue gun and glued the edges down on to the poster board.  I initially was going to use a spray adhesive, but it was really stinky and not sticking very well.  The glue gun worked like a charm.

To keep the fabric covered poster board in place, I placed a few ZOTS on the bottom of the panels to help them stick to the inside of the plastic bins.

Here is the result and I love how it turned out.  I placed plain white card stock on the exposed sides.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook