Print small photos for your memory planner.

4/13/2015

Good Morning and Happy Monday!

I recently received a Selphy CP910 and I love it!  There are a few drawbacks, but I am okay with them.  The first is that it does not print a TRUE 4x6 print......a full image size is 100mm x 148 mm, which is approximately 3.94 x 5.83.  If you are a Project Life scrapbooker, this may not be the printer for you.  I typically don't print 4x6, so this is not an issue for me, BUT I have no problem matting a photo with cardstock, or patterned paper to have it fit snug in a pocket page sleeve.  Problem solved, :)

I recently shared a picture of a page in my memory planner on the Capture 30 facebook group.  There were many questions and I felt it easier to write up a blog post to answer them and share why the Selphy works for me and how I printed the smaller inch size photos to add to my planner.


I have the GOLD planner format, but found a 6x8 mint PL binder and switched it out. I love how the tiny photos fit perfectly at the top of the page.  

For these, I created a template in photoshop.  I put 12 one inch by one inch squares on a 4x6 canvas. 
Technically, they are about 1/16 of an inch smaller than a true inch, but it really didn't make a difference to me.


I saved it as a .psd file so I can use it in the future.  I am hoping that the majority of those reading this are familiar with photoshop.  I am using Photoshop Elements 12 and if you are curious, I am working on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, which I love.  It really is a tablet with the power of a desktop!



I opened up the photo I desired to print and placed it above the respective layer of the square I wanted to clip it to.  Using Ctrl-g creates a "clipping mask", where the layer above takes on the shape of the layer below.  This is done in the layers palette on the right side. You can see in the picture that I have the layer I clipped to the square selected.  Do this for each photo and square combination.  I didn't fill each square, so before I saved it to my computer, I just clicked on the little "eye" and made those layers invisible.  That way, you won't be printing black boxes if you don't use all the spaces.  One thing I did that I find helpful is to save it as a .pdf, instead of a .jpg.  You CAN print a .pdf file on a SELPHY and I find it preserves more of the information.  

I use DROPBOX and I highly encourage it.  It makes it very easy for me to access photos I took with my iPhone on my Surface.  As long as I am connected to a wifi network, or cellular if you so desire, my images transfer and I don't have to do a thing.  I've also learned that you don't have to allow all of your dropbox files on your computer, you can choose to sync only certain files, for me that is my CAMERA UPLOADS and my CREATIVE folders.  If I want anything from any of my other files I simply go to the dropbox website and download as needed.  This keeps the memory on my Surface from being overloaded.  It's not such a big deal on the iPhone, because with the APP it is all stored in the cloud and not on the phone.  Just thought I'd throw that our there, as it is part of my process.

I do print other smaller size photos with my SELPHY and there are a number of ways to do it.  I primarily print 2.5 inch x 3.5 inch photos because I am currently trying out 8.5 x 11 size.  I use basesball card page protectors, along with various others.  I am saving that process for another blog post.

If you are interested in using APPS to create collages and print from your phone, this is a good one.  Please see the comments at the very end in regards to printing if using a SELPHY and a collage made with this app.


PicFrame is very cool and very popular among those who scrapbook with Pocket pages.  It allows you to change the ratio.  To print 4x6, you would select 2:3 ratio, or 3:2, depending on whether you want vertical or horizontal.  I did some experimenting and if you want to use an app to print "inchies", this one will work.  You just have to tweak the size of the frames.  Little more work than using photoshop, but it works.  I'll try and walk you through it.

Select the ration 3:2 in the upper right corner.

Scroll over to the fourth screen of images and chose the highlighted frame at the bottom.


When it opens up, it will look like this, that's ok, we will adjust the borders.

I'm going to tell you how to change the size of the rectangles.   I figured it out through trial and error. Unfortunately, you can only print four inch size photos, but you can add a larger square size print if you would like.  This is the tricky part.

If you place your finger on the Horizontal lines, it will say 42 on either side, this is important as you are wanting to make a square.  Place your finger on the Vertical line and move it until it says 42.
If you have a stylus, use it.....makes it a little easier to see the numbers.  If you do it correctly, it should look like this:


You can see that you now have one 4x4 and eight 1x1 squares.  Technically, they are just slightly smaller than those sizes due to the border, BUT you can adjust the borders.  Click on STYLE at the bottom and slide the width to the left until you reach the desired size.  If printing from a SELPHY, I recommend leaving a very thin border.  This gets you as close to the actual sizes as possible.  

  
Add your desired photos, save to camera roll and Print. If printing with a Selphy, I recommend choosing bordered, HOWEVER for some reason it seems to ADD more white and your pictures end up only being about 3/4 of an inch square and if you choose BORDERLESS, it doesn't maintain the border on the image and prints over the edge on all sides.  HOWEVER, this will work for any other airprint, or wifi enabled printer.  

If you are using a Selphy, I found an APP called PictPrint.  It connects easily and there is an option to "fit image to paper size".  It is automatically set to 93% and I find this works great if you choose this when you print.  As long as you are printing anything smaller than a 4x6, what you see is what you get.  It maintains the borders and does not blow it out.  

This was the photo I tested and the image I made using picframe:


The one on the left was printed with the Canon EPP app from my iphone choosing BORDERED, the picture in the middle was also printed using the Canon EPP app choosing BORDERLESS and the picture on the right was printed using PictPrint choosing the fit to page option and I left it at 93%.  Using the PictPrint APP with the SELPHY gives you images that are sized more closely to what you see on screen.

PLEASE NOTE that this is just something I have to found to work for photos smaller than 4x6 when printing from your phone to a SELPHY, you can print a full image and have it print within the perforations, but it will still be smaller than a 4x6.

I'm still testing out other APPS, as there are many out there, but I am perfectly okay with using Photoshop and my Surface to print from. I hope you have found this helpful in some way and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Remember, you have to find what works for you.  Good Luck and Happy Crafting!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook